RAW BRUSSELS SPROUT + APPLE SALAD
If you ever catch yourself thinking about the holidays in the midst of summer (fess up – you’ve done it at least ONCE), here is a great way to recreate some holiday flavors in a more summer appropriate salad.
Brussels sprout. People either love them or hate them. Learn to love them! They come with a nice list of health benefits. Because people can’t stand the extreme cabbage flavor, they roast brussels sprout away until the end result looks nothing like its natural state. People also like to mask the brussels sprout flavor by adding lots of bacon, pancetta, butter, cheese, and other ingredients.
Here’s a tip – they’re more subtle when eaten raw in a slaw-like state. I’ve taken that approach with this salad and also incorporate some raw apples to both complement the brussels sprout and to add a refreshing touch. The toasted walnuts are a nice textural component and play up the recreation of holiday flavors. The acidic vinaigrette is perfect for preventing the apples from browning and helps break down the toughness of the brussels sprout.
- Brussels Sprout (20)
- Apples (2)
- Shallot (1)
- Walnuts (Large Handful)
- Maple Syrup (1/4 cup)
- Homemade Vinaigrette*
- Salt + Pepper
*Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Dijon Mustard, Soy Sauce, Meyer Lemon, Salt + Pepper
- Finely shred up the brussels sprout and place into a large salad bowl.
- Pre-heat the oven to 300F for the walnuts. Spread out the walnuts on a baking sheet, drizzle on maple syrup and season with salt. Make sure all of the walnuts are coated.
- Toast the walnuts in your oven for about 5-8 minutes (keep an eye on them to avoid burning). Once done, remove from the oven and transfer directly to your brussels sprout.
- Finely slice up the shallot and let caramelize lightly in a small pan with olive oil, salt + pepper. Transfer directly to the brussels sprout and toss with the salad.
- In a small bowl, create your vinaigrette by whisking together the ingredients listed above.
- Wash the skin of your apple well, de-core, and slice up thinly. Place into the salad bowl and immediately pour in the vinaigrette to avoid browning of the apples.
- Toss the salad well until all ingredients are combined.