GRILLED JALEPEÑO “POPPERS”
You know that popular bar food that has some heat, comes breaded and deep fried, and is oozing with more cheese than actual jalepeño? Sorry to disappoint but they’re killing an ingredient and making it way too unhealthy. Fear not – I took that concept but made it a whole lot better for you. Hooray
My jalepeño poppers are grilled; not fried. This retains just the right amount of heat and brings out the pepper’s true colors (whereas frying just… blah). And no breading here! Getting creative with the filling is both fun and gratifying for your body. You could add some crab meat, tuna, tofu, omit the cheese, or come up with your own creation! I kept my version pretty simple and the end result was just right. As little as these peppers are and as easy it is to head over to the frozen foods section and buy a box of bar-style poppers, you have so much potential to keep things in line with your healthy lifestyle.
- Jalepeño Peppers (4)
- Avocado (1)
- Lime (1/2)
- Salsa* (2 tbsp)
- Cheese (Optional)
- Olive Oil
- Salt + Pepper
- Hollow out the jalepeño peppers.
- In a bowl, mix and mash together the avocado, lime juice, and salsa. If adding cheese, add it to the bowl as well. Season with salt + pepper and bring this mixture down to a paste.
- Spoon the filling into each jalepeño pepper to the brink. You’ll likely end up with leftover filling which you can just use a dip either for the peppers or maybe some chips!
- Brush the stuffed jalepeño peppers with olive oil and rub on some salt + pepper.
- Grill the peppers until charred.