GRILLED PORTOBELLO BURGERS
If you are a meat-eater/poultry-eater turned vegetarian, you might miss a nice char-grilled burger. No worries – here is a great alternative that will make you forget all about those sensory cravings!
Grilled portobello mushrooms are probably up there as one of my top 5 favorite grilled foods. Some foods just taste better grilled, and this mushroom is one of them. The end result can only be described as meaty, juicy, and flavorful. Or as I like to say, YUM.
I went back and forth on the flavor profiles for this burger. I either wanted to stay true to a traditional burger by seasoning it with grill rub and whipping up some BBQ sauce to make a mock burger-burger. But then my mind wandered to something more fresh – tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella. We are already melting in 100F heat so freshness won out!
- Portobella Mushrooms (2)
- Tomatoes (2)
- Basil Leaves (Handful)
- Red Onion (1/2)
- Romaine Lettuce (1 bunch)
- Tomato Balsamic Sauce*
- Mozzarella Cheese Slices (2)
- Gluten Free Buns (4)
- Create the Tomato Balsamic Sauce by blending in a food processor some balsamic vinegar, olive oil, ketchup, a few chopped tomatoes, basil, salt + Pepper. Purée until smooth and set aside.
- Thinly slice up the red onion and either caramelize them in a pan with a little balsamic vinegar, or leave them raw (up to you!).
- Roughly chop up the romaine lettuce and place in a serving bowl. Slice up the tomatoes. Set both of these aside.
- Brush both sides of the portobello mushrooms with olive oil. Season simply with salt + pepper.
- Heat up the grill and cook the portobello mushrooms. Add the mozzarella slices (optional) atop the portobellos about a minute prior to the mushrooms being done.
- If you like your buns toasted, add them to the grill as well.
- Assemble the burgers as you like and enjoy!