BLACK LENTIL SALAD
Simple + easy + tasty + healthy dishes = happy home cooks! I found a dish that hits these marks and hope you’ll give it a try as well.
Black lentils are beautiful and earthy. Lentils in general are super versatile and deserve to be taken beyond soups, stews, and sautés. They’re perfect in salads because you can easily pair crunchy raw vegetables with them for a pleasant contrast.
In this dish, I’ve added celery and jicama for the crunch factor. The lentils tie the dish together, yes, but let’s not forget the tuna. I know that canned tuna gets a bad rap. However, when you pair this canned ingredient with elegant flavors your taste buds yearn to do away with that stereotype.
Say good bye to that boring bed of greens on your next date night with salad and introduce this fun and sophisticated one to your repertoire!
- Black Lentils (1 cup)
- Scallion (1)
- Celery Stalks (3)
- Jicama (1/4)
- Lemon (1/2)
- Romaine Lettuce (1 bunch)
- Canned Tuna (6 oz)
- Balsamic Vinegar (1 tbsp)
- Olive Oil
- Salt + Pepper
- Prep the black lentils in advance by washing them well then placing them in a pan with 4 cups of hot water. With the lid left slightly ajar, allow the lentils to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice up the scallions and celery. Place these ingredients in a large bowl.
- Peel and thinly slice the jicama as well. Add to the bowl.
- Drain and wash the canned tuna and add to the scallions and celery. Mix together.
- Drain the cooked lentils and add to the large bowl. Combine with the scallions, celery, jicama, tuna and season with salt + pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt + pepper until emulsified. Pour this mixture into the bowl and mix well. Taste and season as necessary.