MEDITERRANEAN EGGPLANT PANINI
Paninis are such comfort foods to me. Even without cheese or meat, anything you sandwich and press on a hot grill pan = divine.
I’ve kept this one vegan by spreading some puréed bean spread as a binder instead of cheese. The eggplant, tomato, and onion are sort of a classic combination but one I certainly can’t get enough of! Eggplant somehow tastes so much better pressed into a sandwich on a grill – don’t cha think?
- Eggplant (1)
- Tomatoes (2)
- Red Onion (1/2)
- Cannellini Beans (12 oz)
- Chives (3 stems)
- Lemon (1/2)
- Olive Oil
- Salt + Pepper
- Gluten Free Bread
- Slice up the eggplant into 1/4″ pieces and let soak in a bowl of salted water.
- Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans. Place in a blender with the juice of a lemon, olive oil, chives, salt + pepper. Purée until smooth.
- Slice up the tomato into slices and set aside.
- Slice up the red onion.
- Heat your grill or griddle pan. Spray with olive oil and add the onions first. Allow them to caramelize. Once they have cooked, remove from the grill/griddle and set aside.
- Drain the eggplant slices and dry them with paper towels. Brush both sides of each eggplant with olive oil and season with salt + pepper.
- Add your eggplant slices to the grill/griddle to get char marks on them. Set them aside as they charr.
- Assemble your paninis by spreading the bean purée on the bread. Then add the eggplant, tomato, red onion, eggplant (or whatever order you prefer).
- Place the panini on the grill/griddle pressed down by a panini press. Cook both sides for about 3-4 minutes each.