CANTALOUPE + CHERRY TOMATO SALAD
Cantaloupe and… what?? Yes, cantaloupe can go beyond its reputation as a bowl of fruit fixings. Before eliminating meat from my diet, one of my favorite appetizers was cantaloupe wrapped in prosciutto. So simple and the perfect blend of sweet and savory. Good news – non-meat eaters can revel in the beauty of cantaloupe’s versatility too!
In this dish, I’ve paired cantaloupe with tomatoes (while yes, still a fruit, not as alarmingly sweet) and my secret ingredient – sesame seeds. A little salt + pepper to finish off and before you know it, you have the perfect little refreshing bite to satiate your appetizer-longing dinner mates.
We eat with our eyes too, you know, so the pretty pops of color are just another reason to love this summery salad!
- Cantaloupe (1)
- Cherry Tomato (12 oz)
- Scallion (1)
- Black Sesame Seeds (1 tbsp)
- Miso (2 tbsp)
- Mirin (2 tbsp)
- Honey (1 tbsp)
- Salt + Pepper
- Cut the cantaloupe in half, remove the seeds, and scoop out melon balls. Place the melon balls into a salad bowl.
- Quarter the cherry tomatoes and add to the cantaloupe.
- Finely chop up the scallion and add to the cantaloupe and cherry tomatoes. Toss together.
- Toss in the black sesame seeds and season with salt + pepper.
- Pour the mirin into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Add to the mirin the miso and honey. Whisk together until combined. Pour into the salad bowl and mix in with the cantaloupe and tomatoes.