TANDOORI TOFU W/ SPINACH
Before my vegetarian days, one of my favorite Indian dishes was Tandoori Chicken. There’s something to be said about the succulence that results from the Tandoori marinade and the right amount of smokiness from the oven. What I discovered is that you can replicate those flavors in a vegetarian dish like I did here with tofu.
I have to say – you would be surprised at how similar this is and more importantly how good it is for being a complete vegetarian overhaul. The tofu really acts as a sponge and soaks in those Tandoori flavors. The smoked paprika I add to the marinade helps to build in hints of smokiness (albeit nothing compared to the “actual” thing, I get that). The spinach adds the right balance of moisture and the coconut shreds add a little sweet and a lot of crunch. Indian fusion perfection .
- Sprouted Extra Firm Tofu
- Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- Tikka Massala Marinade
- Smoked Paprika
- Greek Yogurt
- Brown Rice
- Salt + Pepper
- Prep the tofu the night before. Whisk together the Tandoor marinade with smoked paprika and Greek yogurt. Chop up the tofu into bite-sized pieces and add to the marinade. Make sure all of the tofu is covered in the marinade. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and place into the fridge to marinade overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 F.
- Take the marinated tofu out of the fridge and transfer to an oven-proof pan. Add to the pan the spinach and stir into the tofu. Season with salt + pepper.
- Sprinkle on the coconut shreds, tent the dish with foil and place into the oven to cook for about 45 minutes.
- The last 5-10 minutes of cooking, remove the foil and allow the coconut shreds to brown up.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the package or use a rice cooker.
- Serve the Tandoori tofu atop a bed of rice.