VEGAN CHICKPEA PATTIES
Do y’all like the Ellen Degeneres show? I can’t get enough it. I’ve been a huge fan of hers since she first came on air and love her ability to penetrate laughter and joy through a screen. All you 8-5ers should DVR her pronto .
Anyway, the other day, Ellen had chef Fabio Viviani (re: Top Chef) as a guest to demonstrate vegan chickpea patties (yum!). I was instantly inspired to make my own. So here they are.
I don’t know exactly what Fabio put in his patties but the ingredients looked minimal. In my rendition, I added some gluten free oats (for better binding) and spices (like smoked Paprika to give vegan/vegetarian patties the elusion that ‘smoky-but-no-meat’ elusion). Instead of serving these patties on a bun, I created a salad – arugula, cherry tomatoes, mangoes (thanks Whole Foods for 10 for $5 sale), and avocados with a honey lime vinaigrette.
- Chickpeas (1 cup)
- Gluten Free Oats (1/2 cup)
- Yellow Onion (1)
- Celery (1 stalk)
- Carrot (1)
- Mushrooms (1 cup)
- Garlic Clove (1)
- Fresh Parsley (1 cup – chopped)
- Smoked Paprika (1 tbsp)
- Cumin (1 tsp)
- Organic Ketchup
- Olive Oil
- Salt + Pepper
- Prep the chickpeas in advance. If using dried beans, cook them fully. If using canned/pre-cooked, rinse WELL and drain. Set aside.
- Chop up your vegetables – onion, celery, carrot, mushrooms, garlic.
- Drizzle some oil into a sauté pan and add the chopped onions. Turn the heat on medium low and allow the onions to sweat out a bit in some salt + pepper.
- Add the rest of the chopped vegetables to the pan and sauté with the onions. Once cooked, remove from the stove.
- Place in your food processor the chickpeas, oats, sautéed vegetables, spices, chopped parsley, ketchup (about 2 squirts), olive oil, salt + pepper. Blend until combined and dough-y.
- Form patties and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in the freezer for about 30 minutes to let them set.
- Get your grill or griddle pan ready and cook the patties! Serve over salad greens or in a bun.