FAGIOLI + WILD MUSHROOM SALAD
As a vegetarian, I’ve been experimenting a lot with salads. Complex salads, simple salads, warm salads, cold salads… the whole nine. I have to say, my husband and I always end up loving the simple salads. We were under the impression that salads would need to have lots going on in order for us to be completely satisfied… but we stand corrected. For this reason, we cannot wait until summer when produce will be at its peak.
This one is a cross between warm and cold; it can be served either way, depending on which you’re in the mood for. Just a few vegetables, no fancy dressing, and legumes for added protein.
The raw broccoli and tomatoes “cook” slightly from the heat of the sautéed ingredients but still carry the beauty of being raw. The mushrooms and fagioli beans bring in what vegetarians would refer to as the “meat factor.” Aside from the beans soaking overnight and cooking up the day of, this salad is quick and easy to whip up.
- Fagiole Beans (3/4 cup)
- Heirloom Tomatoes (4)
- Wild Mushroom Blend (2 cups)
- Broccoli (3 crowns)
- Shallots (2)
- Garlic Clove (1)
- Vegetable Broth (1/2 cup)
- Herbes de Provence (1 tsp)
- Meyer Lemon (1)
- Olive Oil
- Salt + Pepper
- Prep the dried fagiole beans in advance by soaking overnight and cooking the day of prior to making this salad.
- Finely chop up the shallots.
- Drizzle olive oil into a sauté pan and add the chopped shallots. Keep the heat at low.
- Slice up the garlic clove and add to the pan. Season with salt + pepper.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, raise the heat to medium and sauté with the shallots and garlic.
- Add the beans to the pan and stir into the vegetables. Add hermes de provence, pour in the vegetable broth and let everything cook together.
- Cut up the broccoli florets into smaller bite-size pieces and place into a large salad bowl. Squeeze in the meyer lemon, drizzle in some olive oil. Season with salt + pepper and mix together.
- Cut up the tomatoes into small chunks and add to the broccoli. Gently toss together.
- Pour into the salad bowl the cooked vegetable and fagiole mixture and mix together. Do a final season of salt + pepper and serve!